THE EVER GROWING DEPARTMENT OF ORTHOPAEDICS
The Orthopaedic Department in Guntur Medical College was started in July 1955 when only two lecturer posts were created at Guntur and Visakhapatnam. Dr.Ethirajulu and Dr. Vyaghreswarudu held these posts. Initially, the bed strength was increased to 25. The post graduate courses were started in 1962 and they were sent to Vizag for 6 months training initially. The examination centre for post graduates were started at Guntur in 1966 and were affiliated to Andhra University.
In 1970, the 2nd post of professor along with 30 more beds with a separate ward was sanctioned. Dr.Syed Latiff held it in 1978 paraplegic ward was built up with the funds provided by British Government. Nearly 800-1000 victims were admitted in 1977 when the devastating cyclone hit the coastal districts and were treated without any mortality. Dr.Ethirajulu, Dr.L.Surya Narayana and Dr.Lakshmana Rao were instrumental in organising the cyclone camps. Her Excellency, Dr.Sarada Mukherjee was moved by the pathetic condition of the victims and provided the funds to start the 1st paraplegic centre. In1987, traumatology ward was sanctioned with third professor post. At present, the department is functioning with three units,03 professors ,one ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR , 06 Assistant Professors and 09 post graduate s providing improved patient care to the sick and trauma victims with dedication. The present bed capacity of the department is 140.
In the tenure of Professor, Dr. M.Ram Mohan Rao with the help of his colleague’s professors, Prof. P. Narasimham, Prof.Raja Babu, there was tremendous development in the department.
On 28-06-1999, a new traumotology block was given to the Orthopaedic department on the present Orthopaedic ward. On 01-11-2003, a new “State of Art” Orthopaedic theatre Complex was inaugurated by then Health Minister Dr. Kodela Siva Prasad. This Orthopaedic Theatre Complex was named after Prof. Dr. Ethirajulu. An air-conditioned ‘post operative intensive care unit’ was also started on the same day which was also dedicated to the fond memory of Prof. Dr. Ethirajulu. Now the D. Orthopaedic O.T has got 2 Siemens C-arm image intensifiers, power drill systems & all the intramedullar locking systems and Arthroscopy instrumentation . Recently, our H’ble Health Minister Sri Kamineni Srinivas underwent TOTAL KNEE REPLACEMENT in the MODULAR OT COMPLEX of ORTHOPEDICS DEPARTMENT under the leadership of Dr. M. Prasanth,Dr VARAPRASAD and DR VV NARAYANARAO which is a feather in the glory cap of Orthopaedic department GMC, Guntur.Now the Department is headed by Dr G.Varaprasad as Professor and HOD ,Dr SSV Ramana Professor OF 2nd UNIT,and Dr V N Krishnaprasad , Professor of 3rd UNIT .
Every day 300 outpatients visit Orthopedics OP and 7 major & 5 Minor Orthopedic Surgeries happen everyday .most of the work is Trauma related and also Arthroscopic and Arthroplasty SURGRIES ARE CONDUCTED IN THIS PG teaching department .