Community Medicine is a new branch of medicine. It is often considered synonymous with Preventive and Social Medicine(PSM) , Public Health, and Community Health. All these share common ground, i.e., prevention of disease and promotion of health. In short, Community Medicine provides comprehensive health services ranging from preventive, promotive, curative to rehabilitative services. The importance of the speciality of Community Medicine has been very well recognised and emphasized repeatedly from grass root to international levels, not only in health sector but in other related sectors too. The scope of medicine has expanded during the last few decades to include not only health problems of individuals, but those of communities as well. If we want to achieve Health For All, Community Medicine will definitely be the key factor during the next millennium.
Services Provided by the Department
Teaching & training of undergraduate students regarding basics of Community Medicine.
Imparting skills to Internees who posted to Dept. for 2 months regarding Basic Health services, Essential Health Services and Emergencies.
Teaching & Training of Post graduates to in making health Planning & Health Management.
Giving training of basic skills to Physiotherapy Internees.
Teaching & Training of Bsc MLT students to understand patient care.
The department of Social & Preventive Medicine started in mid 50’s of 20th centaury with intention of making a basic doctors to understand prevailing health situation in community.
Students were told about principles & Policies of prevention of diseases among human population.
Enhancing for skills of interviewing with the patients, development of communication skills with fellow human beings.
Made them to understand epidemiological basis of disease, learn how to tackle health emergencies like epidemics, natural calamities and so on.
Dr Vimala Thomas:Professor, Dept. of Community Medicine, GMC
The following are my achievements.
Presently doing my FAIMER (Foundation of Advanced Medical Education and Research) Fellowship from CMCL (Christian Medical College- Ludhiana)
Investigation of Fever epidemic in Guntur district and submission of report to DMHO Guntur in September 2012
Resource faculty for PG CME at.
1. Katuri Medical College: Topic: Emerging and Reemerging Diseases
2. Guntur Medical College: Disaster Epidemiology
3. Deccan Institute of Medical Sciences: RMNCH+A
Resource faculty for workshop on Disaster Management at
Artillery Center, Golconda, Hyderabad: Topic: Medical Preparedness and Management of Mass Casualty Emergencies
Paper Publication in the past 1 year
1. MORBIDITY PROFILE AND HEALTH SEEKING BEHAVIOUR OF THE ELDERLY IN URBAN SLUMS OF HYDERABAD, ANDHRA PRADESH,
INDIA – A CROSS SECTIONAL STUDY
Authors: Vimala Thomas, Lavanya. K. M, Muraleedhar
Name of Journal:International Journal of Current Research and Review. Vol 4, Issue 9, October 2012 Pg 174-180
2. EPIDEMIOLOGIC PROFILE OF ROAD TRAFFIC ACCIDENT (RTA) CASES ADMITTED IN A TERTIARY CARE HOSPITAL – A RETROSPECTIVE STUDY IN HYDERABAD, ANDHRA PRADESH
Vimala Thomas, Lavanya, Sridhar
Name of Journal: Int J Med Pharm Sci, Feb 2013 / Vol 03 (06): 30-36
3.Metabolic Syndrome (Ms) among Adults in Urban Slums – A Cross Sectional Study in Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India
Lavanya KM, Vimala Thomas, Muralidhar and Nageshwar Rao
Name of Journal: India. J Community Med Health Educ 2:192. doi:10.4172/2161-0711.1000192
4. BOMB BLAST IN HYDERABAD 2013: A MEDICAL ANALYSIS
K. Vishnu Prasad, Vimala Thomas, K. Padmaleela, Bheemathati Ranga Rao
Name of Journal: Int J Cur Res Rev, June 2013/ Vol 05 (12): 104-11
5. A Comparative Study of Health Profile of Children (0-6years) in ICDS vs. Non ICDS Urban Slums of Hyderabad; A.P.
P. Sudha Kumari, Vimala Thomas
Name of Journal: International Journal of Health Sciences & Research Vol.3; Issue: 8; August 2013: 1-6
6. A CROSS SECTIONAL STUDY OF RATE AND DETERMINANTS OF CAESAREAN SECTIONS AMONG MOTHERS ATTENDING GOVERNMENT MATERNITY HOSPITAL, HYDERABAD
P. Sudha Kumari, Vimala Thomas
Name of Journal: Int J Med Pharm Sci, Jan 2013 / Vol 03 (05): 14-19
7. An Analysis of the Institutional Deliveries and Their Outcomes in Government Teaching Hospitals of Andhra Pradesh, India
K. Padmaleela, Vimala Thomas, K. Vishnu Prasad
Name of Journal: International Journal of Health Sciences & Research Vol.3; Issue: 5; May 2013: 76-81
8. A Retrospective Study On The Infant Deaths In Government Teaching Hospitals In Andhra Pradesh
K. Vishnu Prasad, Vimala Thomas, K. Padmaleela
Name of Journal: Natl J Med Dent Res 2013; 1(4) : 29-33.
Dr P. Sudha Kumari:Associte Professor, Dept. of Community Medicine, GMC.
Teaching Experience: Completed M.D. in community Medicine and having Post M.D. experience of 19 years and Teaching experience of about 11 yrs. Involved in the Undergraduate and Post graduate teaching, Guiding the P.G. dissertations and other research activities and involved in other academic activities. Examiner and Observer for Dr NTR Health University A.P.
A cross sectional study of rate and determinants of Caesarean sections among mothers attending Government Maternity Hospital, Hyderabad.
P. Sudha Kumari, Vimala Thomas
Name of Journal: Int J. Med Pharm Sci, Jan 2013, Vol 03(05): 14-19
A Comparative study of Health Profile of children (0-6 years) in ICDS vs Non ICDS Urban slums of Hyderabad : A.P.
P. Sudha Kumari, Vimala Thomas.
Name of Journal: International Journal of Health Sciences& Research. Vol.3; Issue:8;
Participated and presented paper on “A Comparative study of Integrated Health Profile of 0-6 years Children in ICDS versus Non ICDS Urban slums of Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh”,In the 51st All India Annual Conference of the Indian Public Health Association held at Science city, Kolkata from January 19-21, 2007 and awarded Best Oral presentation under the sub theme Maternal and Child Health.
Attended AIPSMCON2008 23-25 January 35th Annual national Conference Indian Association of Preventive and Social medicine Department of P&SM, JIPMER, Puducherry and presented paper on “Study of Risk factors of breast cancer patients in MNJ cancer Hospital, Hyderabad”.
Acted as Chair Person in the 16th State joint Conference of IPHA/IAPSM, on 6th&7th January 2012, at Siddhartha Medical college, Vijayawada.
16th Joint A.P. State Joint Conference of IPHA&IAPSM. On 6th&7th January 2012. At Siddhartha Medical College, Vijayawada.
8th Joint A.P. State conference of IAPSM and IPHA, Dept. Community Medicine, O.M.C. Hyderabad, 05-01-2008. To 06-01-2008.
84th Annual National Conference of the Indian Medical Association on 27th-28th&29th of December 2009, at Hyderabad.
Work Shops and Seminars:
1. Faculty Development workshop on Medical Education Technology by Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences from 16th July 2010 to 17th July 2010 at Osmania Medical college, Hyderabad.
2. CME Programme on HIV/AIDS Prevention& Treatment Awareness on 26-08-2006.
3. International Work Shop on Defining the Future- HIV/AIDS- Next 25 years. International HIV/AIDs work shop held at University of Hyderabad during 18-20, 2006.
4. Facilitator in the workshop on Problem Solving for Better Health, held on 21-22 July 2006.
5. Participated in “World Health day CME” “Antimicrobial Resistance& its Global Spread on 07th April 2011 conducted in collaboration with WHO-NPSP at OMC, Hyderabad.
6. Stroke update, a two day International Seminar conducted by Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad in collaboration with Johns Hopkins Medicine International,USA on 10th& 11th March, 2007.
7. Seminar and Intensive Interactive Training Programme supported by NIH, USA, on Prevention of Non- communicable Diseases held between July 13-15, 2007 at Madras Diabetes Research Foundation, Chennai.
8. National workshop on Ayurveda and Siddha for Geriatric Health Care held on 23rd-24th January 2008 at Indian Habitat Centre, New Delhi.
TOT work shop for Master Trainers 24th November- 4th December 2010 on F-IMNCI at Maulana Azad Medical College& Lok Nayak Hospital, New Delhi.
State Coordinator for Training on Facility Based New Born Care Trainings for the Medical officers and Staff Nurses posted in SNCUs in A.P. State.
State Coordinator for Training on Facilty Based Management of Severe Acute Malnutrition for Medical Officers and Staff Nurses of NRCs of the A.P. State.
State Facilitator for the SAM training.
Epidemiology Training sponsored by NACO from 17th to 29th July 2006 from Community Health Department Christian Medical College, Vellore, WHO collaborating Centre for Community based Health Professions Education.
Short course in Epidemiological & Biomedical Data Analysis using Statistical software. By National Institute of Health and Family Welfare, New Delhi from 29th October to 2nd November 2007.
Orientation Training Course on Master Trainers on Family of International Classification (ICD-10 & ICF) from 10-01-2011 to 14.01.2011 at Regional Health Statistics Training Centre of CBHI, Mohali(Punjab).
Awarded Post Graduate Diploma in maternal and child health from IGNOU, June 2011.
Awarded Post Graduate certificate Course in Clinical Diabetes as counselor by IMA AKN Sinha Institute, Patna.
Clinical Skills in Drug and Alcohol Medicine 12 October 2009- 4 November 2009 in the New South Wales Institute of Psychiatry.
Member of Indian Association for Prevention & Control of Rabies in India (APCRI)
Member of Indian association of Preventive and Social Medicine.
Member of Indian Public Health Association.
Ch. Koteswaramma, Associate Professor, GMC
SCIENTIFIC PAPERS PRESENTED:
1. A study on manifest & latent Yaws in Tribal population, Khammam district, Andhra Pradesh, at First International conference in medical sociology on “HEALTH, ILLNESS AND SOCIETY IN THE NEW MILLINIUM, 25, 26 MAY 2002, Chennai, India”.
A study of morbidity pattern of child labourers working in vegetable markets of urban Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India.2004-2005
Assessment and grading of nutritional status in preschool children of field practice area, Golnaka, Osmania medical college, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh.2010-2011
A study on pattern of breast feeding practice among the mothers who came to the Nilofer hospital either for delivery or for the sick child treatment, Hyd. AP.2011-2012
A study to assess KAP regarding the oral rehydration in control the diarrheal diseases among the women with 18- 50 years age, at Urban slum areas of Hyderabad,AP. In 2012-2013
1. A comparative study on Health care utilization patterns in Rural and Tribal populations of Andhra Pradesh at X AP State Conference of IAPSM & IPHA, 13-12-02 to 15-12-02, Rangaraya Medical College, Kakinada, A.P.
A). As 1st AUTHOR:
1. Received BEST SCIENTIFIC PAPER AWARD “A study to assess the prevalence of cataract and its determinants among the geriatric age group at Medak district, Andhra Pradesh at 46th All India Annual conference of IPHA held at Kolkata from 25 to 27 January, 2002.
B).As 2ND AUTHOR:
1. Received BEST SCIENTIFIC PAPER AWARD for the paper “A study to estimate the diabetes prevalence and its socio- demographic determinants among geriatric population living in urban field practice area, Osmania Medical College, Hyderabad Andhra Pradesh ” at 46th All India Annual conference of IPHA held at Kolkata from 25 to 27 January, 2002.
2. Received BEST SCIENTIFIC PAPER AWARD for the paper “evaluation of ICDS services. Andhra Pradesh “at 51 All India Annual conference of IPHA held at Kolkata from 25 to 27 January, 2002.
3. Received Gold medal for the scientific paper “A study on KAP and Prevalence of STD infections among reproductive age females in Ranga Reddy, Andhra Pradesh ”at Wardha, National conference, Wardha, 2010
FELLOWSHIPS: WHO Fellowship on “Health care and community Research”in the year 2006-2007, Khonkaen University, Thailand .
Dr. T.Sivaiah, MD
Papers Presented in Conference:
“The health status of adolescent girls of slums of vijayawada”.
“ The Socio-demographic profiles of HIV/AIDs positives attending Government General Hospital, Vijayawada “
Dr. D. Chinnamma M.D.
Asst. Prof. in S.P.M.
Paper Presentation at National Conference, Vishakapatnam 2010. Influence of work factors on occurrence of musculoskeletal discomfort in DTP operators in Vijayawada city.